21/09/2014

The Bedouin Galabeya Dress

A big part of my business is recycling second-hand Galabeya dresses.  The dresses come from the local Bedouin women living around Dahab.  I usually visit the women in their homes.  

As soon as I arrive, I am welcomed and a rug is immediately spread out on the ground.  Sitting cross-legged on the rug I am first to be served hot sweet tea in a small glass.  Some times I am offered Bedouin bread.  It tastes amazing, believe me!  


Photo (above): Baking Bedouin bread (fetir).


We always ask about each others family, is everyone well?  Perhaps a little bit of gossip is exchanged too.










After the customary exchange of news, I begin to look at the selection of galabeya dresses.  Each one is laid out for me to study. 

I look for nice colours and colour combinations, interesting embellishments such as embroidery, beading or trims.  I am also attracted to interesting textures in the fabrics such as jacquard or brocades. 


Finally a deal is struck.  



I usually have another cup of tea, then I jump on my bicycle and return to the workroom to begin the transition from dress to bag.

No comments: